South America, Bolivia
Comunidad Inti Wara Yassi (CIWY) is Bolivia’s leading organisation in wildlife rights and care. For more than 20 years we have cared for rescued wildlife, given disadvantaged youth a sense of purpose through involvement with animal care, and raised awareness about conservation issues.
Our main concern is animal trafficking. We’re working to end it and in the meantime offering refuge to those animals who have fallen victim to it.
To this end we founded and currently manage three widllife custody centres in the Bolivian Amazon.
We accept volunteers all year round:
We welcome volunteers from around the world to assist us in caring for the animals in our refuges. You will be involved in activities such as exercise, providing enrichment, cleaning, and feeding. You might also be asked to assist with maintenance projects and construction. Over 7,000 international individuals have volunteered with us in the past 20 years.
The minimum time commitment required to volunteer is:
* 1 week to help with construction projects at Jacj Cuisi
* 2 weeks to work with animals at Machia or Ambue Ari
* 4 weeks (or sometimes longer) to work in certain animal areas (e.g. all felines, certain monkey groups etc.)
* Parque Machia - between Cochabamba and Santa Cruz
* Parque Ambue Ari - between Santa Cruz and Trinidad
* Parque Jacj Cuisi - an hour outside of Rurrenabaque
Some of the highlights of volunteering with us are:
* A unique, rewarding and memorable experience
* Gain hands-on experience of caring for a wide variety of animals
* Get up close and personal with orphaned monkeys, felines, tapirs etc.
* Incredibly rewarding
* Community living - share this experience with many like-minded volunteers
We do not require volunteers to have prior experience or qualifications in working with wildlife. We simply ask that volunteers meet the following requirements:
* Must be at least 18 years old (although we occasionally accept 17 year olds with written consent)
* Be in a good physical condition, with an adaptable and flexible attitude towards work
* Be able to work in humid weather conditions
* Have a basic understanding of English or Spanish
* Most importantly - a passion to help animals!
|Type of Activity:||Volunteering Projects|
|Address:||Parque Machía, Avenida Integración, Villa Tunari, Cochabamba, Bolivia|
|Company:||Comunidad Inti Warra Yassi|
|Phones:||+591 4 413 6572 / +44 1273 777 206|
|Social Networks:||facebook twitter linkedin google myspace youtube instagram flickr|